Hugo Martins

I like to build and break things. Currently, Site Reliability Engineer at Talkdesk, formerly at Claranet. These days I write Python and Go, while looking for ways to optimize and automate infrastructure, at the same time.

I try to use this page for sharing whatever I am interested in or learning. Here you can also know more about me, what projects I am working on or have a look at my past research.

You can get future updates via RSS.

Latest Essays

Minor Follow-up on Hacktoberfest 2019

In a previous essay I wrote about the process behind my Hacktoberfest 2019 contributions. It is now worthwhile to make a quick follow-up, at this point, at the status of those contributions.

Another Note on Elevating Shell Scripts

A review of previous notes on how to elevate shell scripts from within the scripts themselves, after understanding my previous approach had issues.


I’ve been really into bossa nova lately and I ended up finding out about this classic Getz/Gilberto which is a recording by Stan Getz, João Gilberto and Tom Jobim with versions of classic bossa nova songs written mostly by Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes.

How to Escape { in Python

Last week, I was faced with an intriguing question. How do I escape { when using str.format in Python?

Giving Back with Hacktoberfest 2019

Hacktoberfest 2019 just finished and this is my personal story of achievement and failure, all at the same time. I only started Hacktoberfest halfway into October but I still achieved 3 PRs. I am proud of that outcome though.

DevOps Lisbon, September 2019 - Recap

I intended to write this much sooner but I got distracted and let it slip a lot. It has now been more than a month since I attended DevOps Lisbon in September 2019, and I would like to do a small recap on what went on.

PyInstaller + PyFiglet = Trouble

This essay is a slightly extended version of a comment I made on PyInstaller’s official repository, regarding PyInstaller and PyFiglet integration, as well as some known issues.

FOSDEM 2019 - A Review

This year I decided to make the trip to Belgium and attend FOSDEM 2019, on February 2 and 3. I have an affection for open source software and I, obviously, had an interest in seeing the conference. I was also curious to understand what the environment would feel like, at a big conference - never have I went to anything larger than 500 people.

View All 33 Essays